Saturday 17 December 2011

Queen Victoria and the accordion

In holiday seasons like these, my thoughts often drift towards home and the gatherings of family and friends. Our previous flat was very quiet – which was nice, but it also meant that I never heard evidence of others around me enjoying the camaraderie of holidays in the home. Last night was the start of a 4-day weekend celebrating the 20th anniversary of Kazakhstan’s independence. The living room above where I am currently camped had a crowd of people over, including many children with happy little feet, and there was laughter, boisterous conversation and let’s-see-who-can-jump-off-the-highest-piece-of-furniture games. Pretending I was at home among the chaos of my large family, I was finally able to trick myself into drifting off to sleep. I was just at that crucial tipping point between wakefulness and sleep when I was jolted awake by an extra-ordinary noise from above. An accordion? Really? But it’s midnight!

Yes. An accordion, belting out what I can only describe as a Russian polka complete with obligatory foot stomping. Then came the melancholic slow verse where a roomful of very enthusiastic, but non-musical singers joined in. Even though I wasn’t there, I could see their faces. The far off look in their eye as they were transported to another time, a time of war and famine and general hardship, but a time that was better because it was in their youth. Reveling in suffering, enjoying the deep emotion of an awareness of being alive; a mix of heart–thumping joy and gut-wrenching sorrow that the Russian culture does so well. I don’t quite know how to describe it. Perhaps this language of the “stiff upper lippers” is ill-equipped to do so. But there must be a Slavic ancestor or two in my blood, because I was able to lie there and wallow in the pathos. At least, for a few rounds of verses and choruses! As the clock rolled past 1:00, however, the part of my blood-line that I share with Queen Victoria took over. "We were not amused."

No comments: